Sidley Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship
Sidley Austin LLP has been one of the most prominent and progressive proponents of law firm diversity. Sidley’s mission is to attract and retain outstanding lawyers of varied backgrounds who reflect the global marketplace that Sidley serves. Through the leadership of its Diversity Committee and Committee on Retention and Promotion of Women, Sidley aspires to make sustainable progress in its journey toward becoming a more diverse organization. To further promote diversity within the legal profession and within the firm, Sidley offers a Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship Initiative for Second Year Law Students. Sidley will grant a $15,000 Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship to a limited number of deserving second year law students who join Sidley’s summer program. Some information regarding the application process is summarized below.
Expectations of Scholarship Recipients
- Have a demonstrated ability to contribute meaningfully to the diversity of the law school, the firm and the legal profession
- Be a second year law student; preference is given to students at schools where Sidley conducts on-campus interviews (OCI) or participates in resume collections
- Have demonstrated academic achievement and leadership qualities
- Join Sidley’s Summer Associate Program following the second year of law school
- Use the Sidley Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship award to defray the costs of his/her legal education
- Participate in Sidley’s ongoing dialogue regarding ways to improve diversity and inclusion
How to Apply
- Students interested in the Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship should apply before interviewing with the firm during OCI. Students attending law schools where Sidley does not conduct OCI are encouraged to apply by September 1. Awardees will be notified of the decision during the course of the recruiting season. The Scholarship application is not an application for employment. Applicants must separately apply for a summer associate position.
Interested applicants should submit an application, including resume, official law school transcript, legal writing sample and personal statement to Jenny Connelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at Sidley Austin LLP, One South Dearborn, Chicago, Illinois 60603. The application can be opened or downloaded (right click and select "Save Target As...") using the following link.
About Sidley Austin LLP
- Optional - Letter of recommendation from a professor (law school or undergraduate), employer or personal acquaintance who can meaningfully comment on Applicant’s academic and intellectual strengths, demonstrated commitment to diversity, and/or ability to contribute to Sidley’s diversity efforts.
Sidley Austin LLP, with approximately 1700 lawyers in 19 offices, is one of the world’s largest full-service law firms. The firm offers its clients extensive experience in transactional, regulatory and litigation matters spanning virtually every area of substantive law. Sidley is committed to achieving greater diversity not only within the firm, but also within the legal profession as a whole. For more information about Sidley, please visit www.sidley.com